Friday, April 22, 2011

My Holy Week Attitude

It's Holy Week.  Certainly doesn't feel like it by the weather outside.  But is it about a feeling?  No.  Christ came into this world, died, and rose again.  It doesn't matter that our week doesn't feel like the season of Easter.  The fact of the matter is that, it is! 

I have to admit, it has been rough to get my mind around everything and be reflective of this time of year.  I do have a reason.  Perhaps not a good reason, but a reason for my bad attitude.  I've noticed so many changes in the Church over the last several years, and in my view, not good changes.  It makes it very difficult to have a good attitude.  I'm not talking just about the church we're attending now, it's happening all over.  Things of the past, traditions, meaningful events, are being thrown out the window and replaced by what our culture seems to like. 

I attended the Maundy Thursday service last night.  I figured this would be the best of the services being put on this year by our church.  I could really focus on what Christ did for me, and the music was appropriate, and the service, for the most part, worked.  While groups were going up for communion, the background piano music played appropriate songs that turned my mind to the amazing work Christ did for me. 

Today is Good Friday.  We decided we weren't going to attend Good Friday and Easter services at our church this year.  In the past, the Good Friday service has been a complete joke.  The head-banging music is anything but reflective of what Good Friday is actually about.  Songs had nothing to do with the day at hand, didn't focus on Christ going into the grave.  In fact, there were songs of the resurrection last time I was there.  Really?  What day is it?  Christ can't rise until he's been put in the grave.  The preaching has been less than stellar as well.  Now it's a combined effort from many churches, so things will vary.  But let's get our act together and put together a service regarding the day that it in fact is!  I was asked to play flute for a piece, and really struggled with what to do, since we said we weren't going to go.  Then I learned that Pastor Jon will be preaching, so at least the message should be good and appropriate.  I also rarely get to use my gifts anymore, so this was another opportunity for that (but that's another issue).  So, I decided to do it.  We decided to give it one more try.  I don't have high expectations, but I hope this service will honor Christ's death and not be a mockery like I've seen it in the past, at least in my view.

I have a degree in church music.  This stuff is very important to me.  It drives me nuts when things aren't cohesive, aren't appropriate, aren't well-planned.  This is about worshipping our Lord, so why do we let things slide and seem to not do our best in planning?  We are going to Illinois to go to church on Sunday.  It was actually my idea to visit the in-laws and go to church somewhere where I hope the service will be pleasing to the Lord.  Imagine that.  Not something I suggest often.  After last year, we just couldn't go here anymore.  It's one big show.  While planning is great and needs to happen, this was a down to the exact minute type of plan that made one feel tense.  It was just so showy.  Many congregants didn't participate in many of the songs.  This is Easter Sunday!  Shouldn't we be rejoicing and lifting our voices in song together? 

For the record, we are not going to the Lutheran church.  No way!  Tons of people who come to take communion on Easter, because that and Christmas are the only days they go to church.  I cannot stand being in that environment.  People receiving communion who shouldn't.  Talk about me getting a bad attitude.  At least that one is biblical, for certain.  While I like tradition, it's not everything.  There should be a reason behind why we do something.  My sister-in-law has been complaining about the fact that their church isn't doing a Tennebrae service this year.  I think this kind of service is fabulous.  Great meaning to it.  I wish there were more of those around here.  But, the reason she's complaining is because of the tradition.  No care as to what it really means.  When just told that it will not be similar to a Tennebrae service, the only reason she's going to is to hear a particular person sing Via Dolorosa.  While that is a great song, that's why you're going to church?  Really?  Jesus took on all our sins and died in our place.  Does that not matter to you?  Has our culture so lost the meaning of what events took place during Holy Week?  It's sad.  Really sad. 

While my attitude is probably not where it should be, I hope to be able to recognize ALL the events that took place during these few days, and thank my Lord and Savior for what He did for me.  Amazing.  This song tells it all:

Man of Sorrows! what a name
For the Son of God, Who came
Ruined sinners to reclaim.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Guilty, vile, and helpless we;
Spotless Lamb of God was He;
Full atonement can it be?
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Lifted up was He to die;
"It is finished!" was His cry;
Now in heaven exalted high.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

When He comes, our glorious King,
All His ransomed home to bring,
Then anew His song we'll sing:
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment